Amesbury Friends Meetinghouse
A group of Friends first met for worship in Amesbury in 1705 on Friend Street. In 1851 the present Meetinghouse was completed. It is in the Greek Revival style and is on the National Register of Historic Places
Amesbury Meeting's best known member is John Greenleaf Whittier. Whittier, the famous poet and social activist, served as the clerk of the building committee that supervised construction of the Meetinghouse. A plaque on the end pew of the meetinghouse commemorates Whittier.
Amesbury Friends consider our handicapped-accessible Meetinghouse to be a community resource. Our Fellowship Room has been used to host weddings, meetings and other community events. To inquire about use of the Meetinghouse, check the availability on Weekly/Daily Events Calendar; then read Guidelines for Use.
Amesbury Friends Worship Room - Photograph by Ed Mair